- Financier: CEI, Tavola Valdese, Regione Umbria, Provincia di Ascoli Piceno, Association El Amane puor le Developpement de la Femme (AEDF)
- Start: 2013
- Duration: 2 years (completed in 2015)
- Financing: € 78.490
- People helped: 10.000
The intervention has been planned on the ground of several meetings GSI ITALIA and AEDF – Association El Emane pour le Développement de la Femme – held with potential target groups, local associations and institutional subjects. From the meetings above, the potential beneficiaries asked for a strengthening of local NGOs’ skills in the fields of equal chances and man vs. women rights for the latter full social success.
Currently, in Morocco and particularly in the Marrakech region – the area chosen to carry out the action – women are not economically free and cannot access the opportunities men have; this background is confirmed by literature published by international institutions among which there is the Human Development Report by UNDP, which states that the Women’s Participation Index is equal to 0.318 (Morocco is 104th out of 109 countries which were analysed in 2009). If we consider the Marrakech Tanssift Al Haouz region, the index falls to 0.297.
The UNDP ends the report by stating that the inequalities in gender and relationships represent two of the main obstacles to the full development of Morocco and the Marrakech region more specifically. The general objective of the 2-year project is the socio-economic success of women within the Morocco society so that they can contribute to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal no. 3. The specific objective is to strengthen local actors operating in the promotion of women’s rights in the 5 villages of the Oudaya – a Marrakech territory – though enhancing their skills and establishing a regional network.
The expected results are the following:
- strengthening of knowledge of 15 local NGOs so that to guarantee the provision of services to discriminated and abused women;
- improvement of their skills in performing public campaigns on gender issues;
- improvement of their skills in promoting, implementing and monitoring small income-generating activities and informal microcredit systems;
- establishment of a network to promote a future sustainability and replication of the achievements.
What has been done
- result no. 1 – training courses focused on provision of legal consultancy and psychological support to discriminated or abused women; provision of the services above through a polyvalent centre by AEDF;
- result no. 2 – training courses on how to perform public campaign; organization of events in the 5 villages;
- result no. 3 – training courses on the promotion of small income-generating activities and informal microcredit systems; identification of 20 groups which will benefit from technical training on both subjects; promotion, implementation and monitoring of the income-generating activities and informal microcredit systems by the target group;
- result no. 4 – networking between the 15 local NGOs involved in the project; training courses on how to strengthen their skills in organizing and implementing public activities, research for financing, identification of new proposals, improvement of the intervention visibility in the territory and lobbying actions.
The direct beneficiaries are:
- 150 members of 15 local NGOs;
- 1,800 abused and discriminated women who will receive the planned services;
- 500 women involved in training on income-generating activities and informal microcredit systems ;
- 5,000 inhabitants of the 5 villages who will take part in the public campaigns.
The indirect beneficiaries are: at least 10,000 inhabitants of 5 villages in the Oudaya region.